Sunday, May 11, 2008

Kawasaki Syndrome

Kawasaki disease, also known as lymph node syndrome, mucocutaneous node disease, infantile polyarteritis and Kawasaki syndrome, is a poorly understood self-limited vasculitis that affects many organs, including the skin and mucous membranes, lymph nodes, blood vessel walls, and the heart. It does not seem to be contagious. It was first described in 1967 by Dr. Tomisaku Kawasaki in Japan.[1]

Incidence, causes, and risk factors

By far, the highest incidence of Kawasaki disease occurs in Japan (175 per 100,000), though its incidence in the United States is increasing. Kawasaki disease is predominantly a disease of young children, with 80% of patients younger than 5 years of age. Additional risk factors in the United States include Asian race and male sex. The causative agent of Kawasaki disease is still unknown.

However, current etiological theories center primarily on immunological causes for the disease. Much research is being performed to discover a definitive toxin or antigenic substance, possibly a superantigen, that is the specific cause of the disease. An unknown virus may play a role as an inciting factor as well. The cardiac complications are, by far, the most important aspect of the disease. Kawasaki disease can cause vasculitic changes (inflammation of blood vessels) in the coronary arteries and subsequent coronary artery aneurysms. These aneurysms can lead to myocardial infarction (heart attack) even in young children. Overall, about 10–18% of children with Kawasaki disease develop coronary artery aneurysms Kawasaki syndrome and risk factors for coronary artery abnormalities: United States, 1994-2003. with much higher prevalence among patients who are not treated early in the course of illness. Kawasaki disease and rheumatic fever are most common causes of acquired heart disease among children in the United States.

Symptoms

Kawasaki disease often begins with a high and persistent fever that is not very responsive to normal doses of paracetamol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen. The fever may persist steadily for up to two weeks and is normally accompanied by irritability. Affected children develop red eyes, red mucous membranes in the mouth, red cracked lips, a "strawberry tongue", iritis, keratic precipitates (detectable by an ophthalmologist but usually too small to be seen by the unaided eye), and swollen lymph nodes.

Skin rashes occur early in the disease, and peeling of the skin in the genital area, hands, and feet (especially around the nails and on the palms and soles) may occur in later phases. Some of these symptoms may come and go during the course of the illness. If left untreated, the symptoms will eventually relent, but coronary artery aneurysms will not improve, resulting in a significant risk of death or disability due to myocardial infarction (heart attack). If treated in a timely fashion, this risk can be mostly avoided and the course of illness cut short.
  • High-grade fever (greater than 39 °C or 102 °F; often as high as 40 °C or 104 °F) that normally lasts for more than a week if left untreated.
  • Red eyes (conjunctivitis) without pus or drainage, also known as "conjunctival injection"
  • Bright red, chapped, or cracked lips
  • Red mucous membranes in the mouth
  • Strawberry tongue, white coating on the tongue or prominent red bumps (papillae) on the back of the tongue
  • Red palms of the hands and the soles of the feet
  • Swollen hands and feet
  • Rash which may take many forms, but not vesicular (blister-like), on the trunk
  • Swollen lymph nodes (frequently only one lymph node is swollen), particularly in the neck area
  • Joint pain (arthralgia) and swelling, frequently symmetrical
  • Irritability
  • Tachycardia (rapid heart beat)
  • Peeling (desquamation) palms and soles (later in the illness); peeling may begin around the nails

Signs and tests
A physical examination will demonstrate many of the features listed above.beaus lines(transverse grooves on nails)

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurie Hughes said...

I really appreciate  DR AKHIGBE,my name is LAURIE HUGHES . I will never stop testifying DR AKHIGBE. Happiness is all I see now I never thought that I will be cured from HIV virus again. DR AKHIGBE did it for me. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 2 years now, I have spent a lot of money going from one place to another, from church to church, hospitals have been my home every day. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this fateful day,  I saw a testimony on how DR AKHIGBE helped someone in curing his HIV disease in internet quickly I copied his email which is drrealakhigbe@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days, after using the herbal cure and i did, behold I was free from the deadly disease,till now no HIV in me again he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now,all the testimony of DR AKHIGBE is true  please BROTHER and SISTER, MOTHER and FATHER he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or you can whats App his mobile number on +2348142454860  He can also cure these diseases like HIV and AIDS HERPES,DIABETICS,CANCER, HEPATITIS B,CHRONIC DISEASES, ASTHMA, HEART DISEASES, EXTERNAL INFECTION, EPILEPSY, STROKE, INSOMNIA,  MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,GOUT,  NAUSEA,VOMITING OR DIARRHEA, LIVER CIRRHOSIS,  LUPUS,ECZEMA,BACK PAIN,JOINT PAIN. .ETC .please email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or whats APP him  ..+2349010754824.  He is a real good and honest man.  
website...  https:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

October 16, 2020 at 3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Autism,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome, Lupus Cure,Fibromyalgia,Cancer,Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis,Bipolar Disorder,Dementia Disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Stroke,Fibromyalgia,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Diabetes Hepatitis,I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/www.drituaherbalcenter.com . I also chat with him  he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guidelines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.  

March 4, 2022 at 4:57 AM  
Blogger julia Bergstrasser said...

I just want to share this here,
I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August 2010. A valuable friend told me about Dr. Itua Herbal Center in West Africa. She gave me her phone number and email address. I quickly contacted him to guarantee that his herbal medicines will heal my cancer and I will heal forever I said OK.I ask him what is the healing process, he asks me to pay the fees I did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine and then he asked me I told my friend Gomez about the herbal drug so that he gave me to go and drink it.So after drinking for two weeks, I was cured, I am so grateful and I promise that I will do it I recommend to anyone who has cancer and that that I am doing. Herbal medicine Dr. Itua makes me believe that there is hope for people with all kinds of disease or need herbal medicine for illness , Here is his contact information [Email ... drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. Web: www.drituaherbalcenter.com.
Thank you once again blog admin.

April 16, 2022 at 3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home